Thursday, January 7, 2010

The dreaded question

More than, "Where do babies come from?" I have dreaded the question, "Is Santa real?" For 9 years I have escaped the question. I think this is partly because Santa isn't that big of a deal in our house.

We sit on his lap and take a picture and tell him what we want, we put out cookies and milk for him on Christmas Eve and then we find our one to two presents under the tree on Christmas morning. We don't threaten the "if you don't behave then Santa won't come" and we really don't spend a long time talking about him.

This year Abby posed the question for me. I could tell she was having doubts but I could also tell that she really still wanted to believe. As I struggled to find the perfect words, she put her fingers across my lips and said, "Don't spoil the magic." And the magic continues at the Gamblin house.

No comments: